Specialist flood risk insurer enters market

Homeowners turned down for home insurance because of the likelihood of flooding and subsidence have been offered the hope of cover with the launch of a company dedicated to insuring properties in high-risk areas.

Homeprotect says it wants to cater for the 15% of people typically rejected by mainstream providers.

The group, part of the insurance broker Avantia, has developed a computer system which enables it to generate instant quotes for people who are classed as being non-standard, such as those with a criminal conviction, people who work from home and those who leave their property empty for more than six weeks at a time.

A spokesman for the company said it hoped to offer a quote in 97% of cases. The remaining 3% will be referred to specialist underwriters.

Rates for cover have not been released by the group, but policies will almost certainly be more expensive than regular plans.

The group won insurance broking initiative of the year at the 2010 British Insurance Industry Awards following a pilot scheme.

Back to blog home


All content is for informational purposes only and is the opinion of the author. Nothing on this website should be interpreted as "advice". Money Dashboard Ltd make no representations as to the accuracy, completeness, suitability or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors or omissions or any damages arising from its display or use.

Related articles

Download app
Important Information: Money Dashboard Neon and Classic mobile and web apps are now closed as of 31/10/2023. Please see our FAQs for more information.